Currently, fewer than 10 percent of all U.S. college students study abroad at some point in their academic career, according to the Open Doors Report.
That is changing.
Corban University has joined the Institute of International Education’s Generation Study Abroad initiative to help more Americans to gain international experience through study abroad programs. This is one of more than 700 commitments announced by the Institute for International Education (IIE).
Generation Study Abroad seeks to mobilize resources and commitments to grow participation in study abroad to 600,000 by the end of the decade – doubling the current rate. Commitments include actions to diversity the population of students who participate in study abroad and provide additional financial resources to make this possible.
Generation Study Abroad partners to date include over 400 colleges and universities of all sizes and types across the country and around the world, as well as 19 governments, 50 education associations, more than 100 international partners, and 100 study abroad, K-12, and social network organizations who have committed to specific goals to increase the number of U.S. students studying abroad.
A Global Commitment
The commitment to a global network to increase study abroad serves Corban University’s mission to educate Christians who will make a difference in the world for Jesus Christ. Sharing resources and best practices with the IIE and peer institutions will position Corban University to make a difference in an increasing globalizing society.
Corban’s Generation Study Abroad pledge reflects the ongoing efforts of staff, faculty and students to strive for a global outlook. Thirteen study abroad programs, two summer study tours, several annual Summer of Service trips and faculty-led tours give the community access to a range of global experiences.
As a result of these efforts, 20 percent of Corban University students currently study abroad each year. Under the new partnership, Corban will take concrete, action-oriented steps to expand opportunities for study abroad and increase the study abroad participation rate to 30 percent by the end of the 2020/2021 academic year.
But the value of study abroad is about more than numbers. Concrete steps to enhance the value and variety of study abroad experiences will improve not only the participation but also the value of study abroad for Corban students:
- The Corban University Center for Global Engagement (CGE) provides advising services for study abroad students, regular Cultural Intelligence (CQ) training and study abroad pre-departure orientations.
- The CGE publishes research on outcomes from study abroad to help study abroad students observe outcomes from others’ experiences and set goals for their own.
- Corban University students can now apply for IIE Generation Study Abroad Travel Grants of $2000, generously provided by private donors to the IIE and awarded to 100 students nationwide.
- Corban University launched partnerships with Camp10, a summer abroad for high school students in South Africa, and Awana Korea for summer service learning in South Korea. Service learning abroad is eligible for academic credit.
- Studunt Ambassadors stimulate thoughtful peer-to-peer dialogue about issues of global importance on Corban University’s campus.
- Student leaders working in the CGE also generate discussion on study abroad outcomes in blog posts and speaking engagements.
About the Institute of International Education
The Institute of International Education is a world leader in the international exchange of people and ideas. An independent, not-for-profit organization founded in 1919, IIE has a network of 19 offices and affiliates worldwide and over 1,200 member institutions. IIE designs and implements programs of study and training for students, educators, young professionals and trainees from all sectors with funding from government agencies, foundations, and corporations. IIE also conducts policy research and program evaluations, and provides advising and counseling on international education and opportunities abroad.
Contact the Corban University Center for Global Engagement for study abroad information: email@example.com