LASP offers an immersive Spanish-language homestay, classes that foster enquiry into the language and cultures of Latin America, and the chance for a hands-on internship in a cross-cultural setting. LASP courses complement Corban’s General Education courses, are especially suitable for majors in History or English, and can partially provide the foreign language credits for a BA.
Provider: CCCU BestSemester
San José, Costa Rica and an excursion to Nicaragua
All students take Faith, Music & Culture (3 credits), Inside the Music Industry (3 credits) and Practicum: “CMC Tour” (1 credit). Additionally, all students choose the Artist Elective, Business Elective or Technical Elective. Students spend the first 10 weeks at CMC creating music, taking classes and learning techniques before hitting the road for a five-week tour.
Transfer Credit Possibilities
*Indicates required course
This chart provides a reference point to possible course substitutions. All course substitutions require a Course Substitution Form signed and approved by the appropriate department chair(s) and the Registrar’s Office. Contact the CGE to pick up and submit a Course Substitution Form and request help.
|Latin American Studies Program||Corban Catalog: 2017/18 and Prior||Corban Catalog: 2018/19 Onward|
|x||Community Immersion Experience*||3||CM||Christian Ministry Elective||3||CM||Christian Ministry Elective||3|
|x||International Business Seminar||3||General Elective||3||General Elective or discipline specific internship, with department approval||3|
|x||Perspectives on Latin America: History and Contemporary Issues*||3||HU||Western Thought and Culture||3||HU||Humanities Elective||3|
|x||Regional Study Travel*||3||HU||Humanities Elective||3||HU||Humanities Elective||3|
|x||Regional Study Travel*||3||HU||Humanities Elective||3||IS||3|
|x||Responses to Third World Reality||3||HU||Humanities Elective||3||HU||Humanities Elective||3|
|x||Spanish Acquisition*||6||Spanish Acquisition||6||Foreign Language by department approval||3|
|x||Spanish Acquisition*||6||HU||Foreign language courses taken after fulfilling the foreign language requirements of a BA will be applied as Humanities Elective credit.||Foreign language courses taken after fulfilling the foreign language requirements of a BA will be applied as Humanities Elective credit.|
|Foreign language courses taken after fulfilling the foreign language requirements of a BA will be applied as Humanities Elective credit.|
More transfer credit options may be available. All approvals of transfer credit require a signed and completed Course Substitution Form.
Each student will live with three different host families in the course of the semester.
A fifteen-week semester offered in Spring and Fall
Fall 2018: Aug 28 – Dec 8
Spring 2019: Jan 8 – Apr 20
Fall 2019: Aug 27 – Dec 7
BestSemester Application Requirements for LASP
- 2.7 GPA
- Sophomore, junior or senior at the time of matriculation
- A completed online application form
- $50 application fee (payable by check or credit card)
- 1 faculty references (online)
- 1 character reference (online)
- Forms (Download at http://www.bestsemester.com/apply/required-campus-application-forms)
- Official transcript(s) of all college course work
- Certification form (signed by the Corban University Registrar and the Associate Director of the Center for Global Engagement)
- Social/behavioral standing verification form (signed by the Corban University Dean of Student Life)
- Non-refundable $300 confirmation fee
Additional Corban University Application Requirements for LASP
- Fall Applications reviewed until June 1, or until all spots are filled.
- Spring Applications reviewed until November 1, or until all spots are filled.
Center for Global Engagement
Academic Center 5517